No Encyclopedia Entry for Sounding
Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sound.
2. (a.) Making or emitting sound; hence, sonorous; as, sounding words.
3. (n.) The act of one who, or that which, sounds (in any of the senses of the several verbs).
4. (n.) measurement by sounding; also, the depth so ascertained.
5. (n.) Any place or part of the ocean, or other water, where a sounding line will reach the bottom; -- usually in the plural.
6. (n.) The sand, shells, or the like, that are brought up by the sounding lead when it has touched bottom.