No Encyclopedia Entry for Recognize
Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (v. t.) To recall the identity of a person or thing previously known; to recover or recall knowledge of.
2. (v. t.) To avow knowledge of; to allow that one knows; to consent to admit, hold, or the like; to admit with a formal acknowledgment; as, to recognize an obligation; to recognize a consul.
3. (v. t.) To acknowledge acquaintance with, as by salutation, bowing, or the like.
4. (v. t.) To show appreciation of; as, to recognize services by a testimonial.
5. (v. t.) To review; to reexamine.
6. (v. t.) To reconnoiter.
7. (v. i.) To enter an obligation of record before a proper tribunal; as, A B recognized in the sum of twenty dollars.