No Encyclopedia Entry for Need
Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (n.) A state that requires supply or relief; pressing occasion for something; necessity; urgent want.
2. (n.) Want of the means of subsistence; poverty; indigence; destitution.
3. (n.) That which is needful; anything necessary to be done; (pl.) necessary things; business.
4. (n.) Situation of need; peril; danger.
5. (n.) To be in want of; to have cause or occasion for; to lack; to require, as supply or relief.
6. (v. i.) To be wanted; to be necessary.
7. (adv.) of necessity. See Needs.